Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find out if my apartment application has been received or when I can expect a decision?

SafeRent Solutions provides data to Property Management Company clients for them to determine whether you qualify to lease with their company. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide the application status. You will need to speak with the property to determine if they’ve received your application and when they expect to provide a decision.

Will you be able to tell me why my application was denied?

The criteria to accept or decline an applicant are established by the property and/or its corporate headquarters, not SafeRent Solutions. We only provide our clients with consumer reports that they use as a tool in making their decisions to accept or decline applicants.

Your SafeRent Solutions consumer file will provide you with a copy of the information which may have been used by the property to make a decision and will allow you to see potentially adverse information contained in your SafeRent Solutions file. Sometimes the decision to accept or decline an applicant is calculated automatically via computer, using criteria established by the property, to determine whether an applicant should be accepted.

Some properties use a scoring model and will receive a SafeRent Solutions score. This score is unique to each individual or lease. Decision-point criteria is unique to each property. A score which results in a decline at one property may generate an approval at another property. Please note, this score, while incorporating credit as a factor, is not the same as the score you would receive from one of the national credit reporting agencies, such as a FICO™ score. It is generally much lower than a credit bureau score. The report you receive in your consumer file will indicate what factors, if improved, would also most improve your score.

Who is SafeRent Solutions and why do they have information about me?

SafeRent Solutions is a consumer reporting agency that provides information to the rental property industry. Rental housing providers may obtain your consumer report to assist them in making leasing decisions.

SafeRent Solutions maintains information regarding housing court and criminal public court records about individuals. Public records are obtained from courts and law enforcement agencies in many jurisdictions. We also maintain some collection and alternative data.

SafeRent Solutions is also a reseller of information maintained by the three national credit reporting agencies (CRA’s): Equifax®, Experian® and TransUnion®. However, it is important to understand that information from the credit bureaus is not maintained by SafeRent Solutions.

What is a consumer report?

A consumer report may contain information from public record sources, creditors, and other data furnishers, which prospective housing providers and employers use to evaluate an applicant. A consumer report may also show whether or not a person has been sued, filed for bankruptcy, or has a criminal or civil court record.

What's in my SafeRent Solutions consumer file?

A SafeRent Solutions consumer file may include criminal and/or housing court records as well as rental performance history. As a reseller of credit reports, SafeRent Solutions only resells credit bureau reports to its customers, as permitted under the FCRA, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, and/or other applicable laws.

Will my SafeRent Solutions consumer file include my credit report?

Credit information is maintained by the three national credit reporting agencies: Equifax®, Experian® and TransUnion®. SafeRent Solutions is not a credit reporting agency and does not maintain your credit bureau file. However, if your credit bureau report was pulled by the rental property when you applied for housing, you will receive a copy of that report along with your SafeRent Solutions consumer file.

How do I obtain a copy of my SafeRent Solutions Consumer File?

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you are entitled to receive one free copy of your consumer file in any twelve-month period from a credit reporting agency (CRA). You are also entitled to a free copy of your consumer file if you meet the following criteria:

  • You have been notified of an adverse action or been denied housing based on information in your consumer file within the past 60 days
  • You reside in a state where you are entitled to more than one free copy in any twelve month period
  • You suspect that your file may contain fraudulent information, or you are a victim of identity theft
  • You are unemployed or you currently receive public assistance

You may obtain a copy of your SafeRent Solutions consumer file in one of two ways:

1) Call our toll-free number 1-888-333-2413
2) Complete this form.

How long does it take to receive my SafeRent Solutions Consumer File?

Your SafeRent Solutions consumer file is generated and sent to you within five (5) business days from the time we receive your written request.

Can I send my Disclosure Request by FAX or expedited delivery service?

Email is the preferred method for receiving your disclosure request. Please email your form and required identification to [email protected]

The information in my file is not correct, how do I dispute it?

You may dispute information on your SafeRent Solutions consumer file by calling our toll-free number 1 (888) 333-2413. 

A reinvestigation will be completed within 30 days from the date we receive your request and you will be notified in writing with the results of your consumer dispute. If you are disputing information appearing on a credit bureau report obtained by SafeRent Solutions in conjunction with your application for housing, we will notify the appropriate credit bureau of your dispute. Alternately, you may wish to contact the credit bureau directly to initiate your credit dispute.

What is the Fair Credit Reporting Act?

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is a federal law that gives you the right to know what Consumer Reporting Agencies (CRAs) have on file about you, as well as outlining your right to dispute errors contained in your consumer file. It sets tight restrictions for CRAs about the circumstances under which a consumer report may be obtained and disclosed. The FCRA gives you the right to receive a free copy of your consumer file if you are denied credit, housing, employment or had any other adverse action as a result of information obtained from a consumer reporting agency. For additional information on the FCRA visit the Federal Trade Commission’s Web site at

Someone else has been using my identity, what do I do?

If you believe you are the victim of identity theft, you should contact the credit bureau[s] for information on how to place a fraud alert or file block on your consumer credit file. To place a security freeze on your SafeRent Solutions file, please call our automated consumer phone line, toll-free at 1-888-333-2413 and follow the instructions. Additional information on identity fraud may be found on the Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft Data Clearinghouse Web site at

Information on Fraud Alerts

If you suspect that you have been or are about to become a victim of fraud or a related crime, including identity theft, you may contact the national consumer credit reporting companies to request a fraud alert or other alerts permitted under the Fair Credit Reporting Act be placed in the files such companies maintain on you. The addresses, phone numbers and websites are as follows:

P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374
(800) 525-6285
P.O. Box 9556
Allen, TX 75013
(888) 397-3742
P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
(800) 680-7289

If you are a victim of identity theft, you should contact the Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft Hotline to obtain more detailed information about how to protect yourself and recover from identity theft and to file an identity theft complaint.

By sharing your identity theft complaint with the FTC, you will provide important information that can help law enforcement officials across the nation track down identity thieves and stop them. The FTC can refer victims’ complaints to other government agencies and companies for further action, as well as investigate companies for violations of laws the agency enforces.

You can file a complaint online at by phone through the FTC’s Identity Theft Hotline, toll-free: 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338); TTY: 1-866-653- 4261; or write: Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580.

Can I obtain a free copy of my credit reports with Equifax, TransUnion or Experian?

FACTA required creation of a centralized service for eligible consumers to request free annual credit file disclosures from nationwide credit bureaus. The three major nationwide credit bureaus (Equifax®, Experian®, and TransUnion®) established access for consumers to this centralized service using one of the following options:

Phone: 877-322-8228 (toll-free)
Mail: Annual Credit Report Request Service
PO Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281